Wednesday, March 17, 2010

St. Patrick's Day, Irish Music and My Dad

The local classical station is playing Irish music today for 'the day' and it makes me think of my Irish Dad and how he used to sing around the house. There were seven of us kids, and two adults -- and one bathroom! How we used to line up in the hallway in the mornings! My Dad had a good singing voice, and he would treat us to funny songs like "I've got tears in my ears from lying on my back, crying at night over you" as well as sentimental ones like "Do you remember, that time in September, when life was young, and oh so pleasant" (or something like that). My Dad was "mostly" Irish, with a little bit of French Canadian, and he was a master punster. We all used to groan at his jokes but we thought they were great, and to this day, my siblings and I email each other jokes and puns to make each other laugh. Happy St. Paddy's Day, Dad! Here's mud in yer eye!

No comments:

Post a Comment